Historic Reed Home
The original portion, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, was built by Henry Newell in 1771. He willed the property to his three daughters; after his death, one of them, Ann Newell, bought the property rights from her sisters and passed the land and home to a daughter, who in 1827 married Jehu Reed.
Reed was considered a pioneer in scientific agriculture and helped introduce the peach industry to Kent County. He also raised his own silkworms. His son, Jehu M. Reed, expanded the farm, eventually encompassing several thousand acres.
To reflect his growing prosperity, Jehu M. Reed enlarged the original home in 1868 with a third floor and enlarged floor plan. The land and the house remained in the Reed family until the early 20th century.
Pardee’s uncle, Charlie Roberts, moved there in 1944, when he was four years old, and eventually inherited it. He lived in the house until about 2010, when termite damage caused part of the interior to collapse. Roberts now lives in a mobile home at the rear of the property.